Tuesday, March 3, 2015

A Party of One, Please

    So, I posted this article on FB about 5 scientific reasons why it's better to be single. My aunt wrote, "Lonely has its perks, but." Are we still in an age when just because someone isn't in a relationship automatically means they're lonely? And that they should be looking for a mate? When I lived by myself and in no relationship, I loved it. I felt free. In a relationship I felt trapped. There is nothing wrong with enjoying being single and not wanting a relationship, maybe ever. If that is what you want, then you will be seen as a freak of nature, in denial, and unnatural. My cousin said that people were made for relationships. It would be like him to say something like that, based on his Christian belief I assume. Maybe I'm taking this the wrong way, but I felt like he was saying that I'm unnatural. I'm by no means religious whatsoever. However, by saying humans are made for relationships, I'm human as far as I know, and I don't want a relationship, so I'm...well...unnatural.
     I'm not alone in wanting to be single. I saw a report and read some articles on how more and more people are choosing to be single. One of those scientific reasons was that it's less stressful. That is completely true for me. Being single allows people to do whatever they want to do whenever they want. It frees up time. Although, if all of your friends are in relationships and especially are parents, you don't really have anyone to do anything with. I have that problem. You also don't have to share your space with anyone, it's all to yourself. Unless you have roommates of course. And you have alone time. You don't have that if you live with somebody.
     All animals must procreate for the survival of the species. Some animals couple and mate for life, like penguins, and humans sometimes. Since humans have a developed emotional level of consciousness, unlike most animals, does that make us hardwired for committing to a relationship? Want a relationship? I think it's taught, engrained, into people. To get married is like proof you're a grown-up, a right of passage. You're officially an adult. I think that's true for men and women, and holds true still today. Why does being married make you more of an adult than someone of the same age who hasn't been married? Or is it my own perception of this? I see my married friends and then myself this way. If I had my own place, making money, lost weight, would I want a relationship? Or am I just shielding myself that I don't want a relationship because I don't think anyone would want a relationship with me anyway? I can confidently say no.
     Girls aren't taught to be good little wives anymore. They are taught to have higher aspirations, given confidence, just like boys have been for so many centuries. They were never taught to be a husband and father, that that's their goal in life. An evolving society has broken down many timeworn ideologies. Society is always evolving, thank god.

"I don't need a man to rectify my existence. The most profound relationship we'll ever have is the one with ourselves." Shirley MacLaine

No comments:

Post a Comment