Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Bubbles

Why are we so afraid to be physically close to other people? I see the same thing over and over wherever I am that people make an effort, I included, to maintain our "personal space." When you're on a bus, there is no personal space. Are we afraid that they're carrying some dire infection, or they'll grab us, or they stink? I have come across that on more than one occasion on a bus. Maybe it is the reasons I listed, but I think people also separate themselves subconsciously. It's clearly a social habitude in our society. Perhaps the strongly individualistic society that we live an learn in affects this? No real feeling of community on a large scale has existed for some time. We're indifferent to each other. I'm interested in why this phenomenon occurs. I've heard that other countries, mostly Latin, are quite the opposite. There is no such thing as personal space. Instead, they're very up close and personal. They're not afraid to be in the same bubble, so to speak, with another individual. I try to open up more to others, and not afraid to stand close to them or sit next to them on the bus. However, if only one other person is on the bus, I won't sit next to him or her. I don't think this is really a problem. I just wonder why. Maybe it's not all that different in other countries. I wouldn't know. Would a stronger feeling of community exist? Would it be freakish to say hello to everyone you come in contact with, whether in the store or on the street? If so, why? Would it be different at all? Maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment